When it comes to coronavirus, we have flexible solutions for your testing and research needs.
In response to the global outbreak of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), Luminex has developed multiple solutions to enhance our offerings in order to automate and facilitate the detection of SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19 research.
Molecular Testing Solutions
Whether you’re looking for targeted SARS-CoV-2 detection or a comprehensive panel of respiratory pathogens that includes SARS-CoV-2—we’ve got
Directly test for SARS-CoV-2 in a variety of respiratory samples. These tests, all based on nucleic acid amplification, accommodate variable sample throughput—test a single sample per run, or up to 12 samples at a time.
These tests quickly identify multiple respiratory pathogens, including the most relevant circulating pathogen today, SARS-CoV-2. The composition of each panel is unique, enabling you to select the panel that is most suitable to your needs.
These products are for Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures. Please contact Luminex at [email protected] to obtain the appropriate product information for your country of residence.
Serology tests are part of the second phase of the testing paradigm, which is the identification of the presence of antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 in serum.
xMAP® SARS-CoV-2 Antibody Assay
In these uncertain times, laboratories need to have confidence in COVID-19 antibody test results—which is why Luminex has developed a comprehensive SARS-CoV-2 antibody assay. Using a combination of robust internal controls and highly-specific antigens, the xMAP® SARS-CoV-2 assay enables the rapid and reliable detection of SARS-CoV-2 antibodies in plasma or serum samples.
Learn more about our xMAP SARS-CoV-2 antibody assay.
Custom Multiplex COVID-19 Serology Assays
Serology tests, when used on human samples, are used to define the population that has been infected with the virus and developed an immunological response—as seen via the antibodies in their bloodstream against the virus. This information can be helpful for disease characterization, vaccine and drug development, as well as public health policy development. xMAP® multiplexing technology is ideally suited for the development of serological assays because it supports this key antibody detection chemistry and provides a flexible, high-throughput solution.
xMAP is a microsphere-based suspension array technology that enables the analysis of multiple targets in a single reaction, expanding the capacity to look at multiple biomarkers with reduced sample usage. Leveraging the ability to multiplex the detection of antibodies against multiple antigens of an infectious agent provides rapid and detailed information about the immune status of an individual.
Further, xMAP multiplexing technology supports both protein- (capture sandwich, indirect, competitive) and nucleic acid- (direct hybridization, OLA, ASPE, microRNA) based assay chemistries, the latter of which is used in our NxTAG® CoV Extended Panel using nasopharyngeal swab (NPS) samples.
As COVID-19 assay development progresses, applications of xMAP-based assays will include:
- Immune response monitoring: tracking disease progression, mapping individual antibody expression, understanding individual and population immunity, determining previous exposure, understanding duration of protective antibodies, and selecting time points for treatments.
- Pathogen identification and immune surveillance: tracking transmission rates, transmission methods, and co-infections.
- Vaccine development: selecting antigen candidates, efficacy, immunogenicity, participant selection, and vaccine QC/QA testing for product release.
- Drug development: screening candidate compounds for further investigation, PK/PD, screening patients for clinical trials, and screening convalescent plasma.
- Public health and epidemiology: tracking global transmission, identifying zoonotic reservoirs, and transmission modeling in surrogate species.
- Cytokine storm: cytokine profiling to inform treatment, clinical progression, and inflammation management.
- Immunogenetics: HLA type correlation with clinical outcomes, HLA type informed treatment decisions, and donor-recipient matching.
- Screening: Screening for high-risk personnel, military, healthcare, the travel industry, food suppliers, mail/delivery drivers, and biological donations.
Applications of Flow Cytometry in COVID-19 Research
The rapid spread of SARS-CoV-2 and the COVID-19 pandemic have underscored an urgent need to understand the mechanisms of infection, including the host immune response. COVID-19 research is being performed on the molecular, protein, and cellular levels in many different environments to devise strategies and therapeutics for mitigating the spread and impact of this strain of coronavirus.
Flow cytometry is a powerful analytical method that can be a valuable tool for many areas of COVID-19 research. Our Guava® and Amnis® systems give you instant access to all facets of cellular phenotypes and morphology, providing a comprehensive picture of the cellular immune response to COVID-19.
Luminex Flow Cytometry Systems:
The Guava® Muse® Cell Analyzer is a powerful, compact system that uses innovative Guava microcapillary technology to provide quick and accurate absolute cell counts, viability, and basic cell health analyses.
The Amnis® CellStream® Flow Cytometer is an easy-to-use, compact benchtop system that offers high-sensitivity, precise detection of viral particles. The flexible, modular design of the CellStream System allows the platform to easily grow with your evolving research needs.
The Amnis® ImageStream®X Mk II Imaging Flow Cytometer offers high-end detection of viral particles, which includes acquisition of image data. Along with high-powered lasers, the new High Gain mode for the ImageStream System delivers increased sensitivity for detecting small particles.
Explore the resources below to learn how our automated, flexible, and easy-to-use flow cytometers can help accelerate discovery in your COVID-19 research.
- Applications of Flow Cytometry in COVID-19 Research – Flyer
- Analysis of Viral Particles on Amnis Flow Cytometers – Poster
- Enabling COVID-19 Research with Simplified T/B Cell and PBMC Characterization – Poster
- Solutions for COVID-19 Research Using Multiparametric Microcapillary Flow Cytometry – Poster
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Press Releases:
NxTAG® CoV Extended Panel (RUO) – Brochure
ARIES® SARS-CoV-2 Assay (RUO) – Brochure
Speak with a Sales Representative