Amnis ImageStreamX Mk II Imaging Flow Cytometer
The revolutionary ImageStream®X Mk II Imaging Flow Cytometer combines the speed, sensitivity, and phenotyping abilities of flow cytometry with the detailed imagery and functional insights of microscopy. This unique combination enables a broad range of applications that would be impossible using either technique alone.
The ImageStreamX Mk II System is a benchtop, multispectral, imaging flow cytometer designed for the acquisition of up to 12 channels of cellular imagery. By collecting large numbers of digital images per sample and providing a numerical representation of image-based features, the ImageStreamX Mk II combines the per cell information content provided by standard microscopy with the statistical significance afforded by large sample sizes common to standard flow cytometry. With the ImageStreamX Mk II System, fluorescence intensity measurements are acquired as with a conventional flow cytometer; however, the best applications for the ImageStreamX Mk II take advantage of the system’s imaging abilities to locate and quantitate the distribution of signals on in or between cells.
Available Kit & Reagent Offerings
Amnis cell imaging kits are available for important cell pathway and drug discovery applications.
See how imaging in flow has changed research at Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center (RPCCC).
At the RPCCC Flow and Image Cytometry facility, Drs. Paul Wallace, Hans Minderman, and staff provide users with the best tools available for increasing statistical power and throughput for applications like measuring NFkB translocation that were formerly performed by laborious microscopy. Watch to learn how Amnis protocols have helped RPCCC researchers detect rare events like circulating tumor cells.
Features of the ImageStreamX Mk II System:
Fast: Analyzes Thousands of Cells Per Second
The ImageStreamX Mk II Imaging Flow Cytometer can analyze up to 5,000 cells/sec with real-time intensity compensation — ideal for rare cell analysis.
Easy-to-Use: Simple User Interface
The intuitive user interface provides real-time plotting and graphical gating, as well as images of every cell. The easy-to-use compensation wizard quickly guides you through setup of multi-color compensation matrices.
Flexible: Fits Your Sample, Your Targets, Your Fluorophores
The ImageStreamX II Imaging Flow Cytometer accepts up to 7 lasers and works with sample volumes of 20-200 µL for added experimental flexibility — perfect for multi-user laboratories.
Efficient: Less Sample Volume, Less Sample Waste
Fluidics that provide up to 95% sample utilization when every cell is required. Recover unused sample for further analysis when orthogonal methods are required.
Adaptable: Any Upgrade, Any Time
The modular design of the ImageStreamX Mk II Imaging Flow Cytometer allows the system to grow with your research needs and budget through a broad range of field-installable options. Most options, including additional lasers, can be installed at the factory or upgraded in the field by Luminex-certified field service personnel.
Imaging Flow Cytometers Research Areas
The powerful combination of quantitative image analysis and flow cytometry in a single platform creates exceptional new experimental capabilities. The following are examples of areas where the ImageStreamX Mk II imaging flow cytometer can bring more power and insights into your research.
Stem Cell Biology
Application: Nuclear Translocation of NFkB
The analysis of NFkB nuclear translocation shown below used three lasers and eight of 12 available detection channels. Cells were phenotyped using fluorescently-labeled antibodies against CD14, CD45, CD16, and CD3, while two additional image channels were used to quantitatively assess nuclear localization of NFkB by cross-correlation of the nuclear (DAPI) and NFkB (FITC) images. Brightfield and darkfield (SSC) images of each cell are included to provide morphological and structural detail.
Optimized kits for imaging flow cytometry are available to measure nuclear translocation either with your own antibody or with anti-NFkB. In addition, given the ease of detecting several markers simultaneously, this system opens the door to multiplexing and evaluating activation of subpopulations in complex biological samples.
An Expandable Fluorescent Palette
The standard 488 nm laser of the ImageStreamX Mk II Imaging Flow Cytometer may be augmented with up to six additional lasers, including 375, 405, 561, 592, and 642 nm. A high-power 488 nm laser upgrade is also available for enhanced detection of fluorescent dyes excited at that wavelength.
- Increase experimental flexibility by utilizing a broader palette of fluorescent markers
- Improve data quality by employing more spectrally distinct dyes, thereby reducing crosstalk
- Improve throughput via multiplexing of experiments in a single tube or well
- Additional laser options can be installed in the field by certified technicians
Lasers and Example Dyes
AutoSampler for Multiwell Plates
The AutoSampler option for the ImageStreamX Mk II Imaging Flow Cytometer enhances productivity with unattended sample loading from multiwell plates. The fully integrated AutoSampler option allows you to easily perform dose response and time course studies even in primary samples, due to the system’s capacity for imaging large numbers of cells from each sample.
- Ideal for high throughput analysis of suspended cells
- Easy to use acquisition templates allow for multiple experiments per plate
- Unattended operation and in-line bubble detection enables robust operation
- Automatic process logging and error notification
- Automatic sipper rinse between samples and <0.5% carryover
- Automatic sample resuspension via aspiration
- Advanced template function allows groups of wells to be defined for flexible plate configuration
- Automated data analysis
- Field installable by certified technicians
12 Image Channels
Up to 12 Images of Every Cell
The 12 Image Channel option significantly expands the experimental flexibility and analytical potential of the ImageStreamX Mk II Imaging Flow Cytometer by doubling the number of images per cell from six to twelve. This option is comprised of a second image detection system, including a filter wheel, inline filters, spectral decomposition assembly, and a proprietary charge-coupled device (CCD) camera.
- Increase experimental capacity by utilizing a broader palette of fluorescent markers
- Improve data quality by reducing or eliminating spectral crosstalk between detection channels
- Perform functional assays of immunophenotypically-defined subpopulations
- Improve throughput via multiplexing of experiments in a single tube or sample well
- Field installable by certified technicians
The MultiMag option provides 20X and 60X objective lenses, in addition to the standard 40X objective, for greater experimental flexibility and improved resolution. The 60X objective lens increases magnification for small objects, such as yeast and bacteria, and offers greater detail with mammalian and plant cells. The 20X objective lens provides an increased field of view for the imaging of large cells, such as epithelial cells.
- Superior quality, high numerical aperture (NA) objectives yield crisp images
- Convenient magnification changes via motorized objective mount
- Crisp focus is ensured by advanced, patented auto focus technology
The Right Magnification for Your Work
60X magnification for higher resolution
20X magnification for large cells
Extended Depth of Field
A unique optical system upgrade for the ImageStreamX Mk II Cytometer keeps the depth of cell in focus without loss of fluorescence sensitivity. Now you can image FISH spots or other sub-cellular features, no matter where they lie in the cell.
Image More of the Cell in Focus
The extended depth of field (EDF™) option for the ImageStreamX Mk II Cytometer incorporates Wavefront Coding™ technology from CDM Optics, which is a combination of specialized optics and unique image processing algorithms, to project more structures within the cell into one crisp plane of focus.
EDF technology dramatically extends the depth of field, enabling new applications and improving the performance of existing applications – especially spot counting applications such as FISH, autophagy, and nuclear translocation.
Upgrade EDF package includes specialized optics and image processing algorithms:
- Projects all features of a cell into a single plane of focus
- Enables precise analysis of fluorescence in situ hybridization in suspension (FISHIS)
Amnis® AI Image Analysis Software
Amnis® AI incorporates the latest advancements in computer vision to create an intuitive and powerful image analysis tool.
Amnis AI leverages a number of recent advancements in machine learning, including computer-aided hand-tagging, clustering with object map plots, generation of a novel experimental model using deep learning convolutional neural networks (CNN), and confusion matrix tables with accuracy analytics.
Combined with Amnis high-throughput imaging systems, Amnis AI is an easy-to-use analysis tool, allowing researchers to harness the power of artificial intelligence to further their scientific discoveries.
IDEAS® Software offers powerful, familiar tools for creating histograms and scatter plots. Click on any dot in a scatter plot to see the corresponding cell’s image. Numerical scoring of parameters such as size, shape, texture, colocalization, and intensity allow for quantification of visual data.
Expandable to Meet Your Needs
The IDEAS Analysis Software Package is extraordinarily robust, providing hundreds of features for every cell. IDEAS Software also allows you to create almost any new feature you may need from the basic feature set.
Fully Integrated Image and Statistical Data
In IDEAS Software, population statistics and imagery are completely integrated. Every dot on a scatter plot links directly to a cell’s images – click on the dot and you’ll see the corresponding cell. Click on an image to link to the feature values and points in the scatter plot. With its virtual sorting capability, IDEAS Software will show you all the images of a cell population you define.
An Efficient, Flexible Data Interface
The IDEAS interface integrates image data, plots, and statistics. The gallery shows you images of every cell, while the workspace gives you graphing tools to define and analyze cell populations and statistics tables to view population stats, as well as individual feature values.
Templates and Batch Processing
Once you’ve created an analysis scheme in IDEAS Software, you can save it as a template for batch processing future experiments, automated data analysis for high throughput experiments, or to share with colleagues.
Amnis imaging flow cytometry data files (.DAF/.CIF) are directly compatible with FCS Express Image Cytometry software (from DeNovo Software) for further data analysis.
Pre-configured and optimized wizards are provided for many common applications.
Machine Learning for IDEAS 6.3
Luminex has released the latest version of the Amnis IDEAS 6.3 image analysis software, which now comes with the ability to activate the Machine Learning Module!
Machine Learning simplifies analysis by making it easier to classify cells based on specific parameters. To do this, the Machine Learning Module creates a unique classifier that helps researchers customize image-based analysis to their specific application—without the need for complex masking or feature generation. With Machine Learning, you can simply click on a cell of interest and the software will identify other cells with the same features.
In the example to the right, Machine Learning for IDEAS 6.3 was used to create three new classifiers to identify the overall shape of red blood cells in the dataset. Round, sickle, and sideways cells can be clearly enumerated using these three unique classifiers.
Amnis imaging flow cytometers are equipped with INSPIRE™ Software that simplifies fundamental instrument operations. Instrument setup, calibration, and spectral compensation are straightforward and elementary. An intuitive interface makes data acquisition effortless.
An intuitive user interface provides easy-to-use instrument controls, real-time plotting and graphical gating, and images of every cell. The easy-to-use compensation wizard easily guides you through multi-color compensation.
21 CFR Part 11 Compliance Solutions
INSPIRE data acquisition software and IDEAS® data analysis software now both have 21 CFR part 11-enabled versions, making the Amnis® ImageStream®X Mk II and FlowSight® imaging flow cytometers fully compliant with the FDA’s 21 CFR Part 11 regulations. Combined with IQ/OQ (installation and operational qualification) offerings, the software ensures data integrity in accordance with the code of federal regulations.
The software uses a compliance server—with electronic signatures, validations, edit tracking, and more—to maintain completeness, consistency, and accuracy from data collection to processing on Amnis imaging flow cytometers.
Amnis ImageStreamX Mk II Imaging Flow Cytometer Resources
- Amnis® ImageStream®X Mk II Imaging Flow Cytometer Brochure
- Amnis Imaging Flow Cytometer Maintenance and Repair Services
- Machine Learning for IDEAS® 6.3
- Amnis AI Image Analysis Software
- IDEAS® User Guide
- INSPIRE™ User Guide
- Flow Cytometry Applications for COVID-19 Research Flyer
- Imaging Flow Cytometry Compliance Solutions
- Amnis Imaging Flow Cytometers – Microscopy in Flow
- Imaging Flow Cytometry Publication List: Bacteria
- Imaging Flow Cytometry Publication List: EVs
- Imaging Flow Cytometry Publication List: Oncology
- Imaging Flow Cytometry Publication List: Toxicology
- Imaging Flow Cytometry Publication List: Virus
- Quantitation of DNA Damage anQuantitation of DNA Damage and Repair Using H2AX Spot Counting on the Amnis ImageStreamX Imaging Flow Cytometerd Repair Using H2AX Spot Counting on the Amnis ImageStreamX Imaging Flow Cytometer
- Illuminating T Cell–APC Interactions Using Multispectral Imaging Flow Cytometry
- Imaging Flow Cytometry of Mixed Algae Cultures for Biomass Evaluation
- The Kinetics of CpG Internalization and Sub-cellular Organelle Co-localization Within Circulating Human Plasmacytoid Dendritic Cells
- Measurement of Immune Cell Function Using Amnis ImageStream Imaging Flow Cytometry
- Measurement of Protein Aggregates and Silicone Oil Droplets in Protein Formulations Using Amnis Imaging Flow Cytometry
- Quantitating NF-?B Translocation Using the Amnis ImageStream System and Optimized Reagent Kit
- Detection of Extracellular Vesicles Using the Amnis ImageStreamX Mk II Imaging Flow Cytometer
- Measurement of Protein Aggregates and Silicone Oil Droplets in Protein Formulations Using Amnis Imaging Flow Cytometry
Amnis ImageStreamX Mk II Imaging Flow Cytometer Training and Support
Amnis® ImageStream®X Mk II imaging flow cytometers combine the speed, sensitivity, and phenotyping capabilities of flow cytometry with the detailed imagery and functional insight of microscopy. Amnis imaging flow cytometers overcome the limitations of both techniques alone and open the door to a range of novel applications. To help you get the most from your Amnis imaging flow cytometers, our worldwide service organization offers a variety of service plans to maintain the performance and longevity of your instrument, while meeting your individual support needs.
As part of Luminex’s comprehensive flow cytometry solutions, our service packages offer post-warranty support and allow you to select the level of hardware, application, and software support that best fits your needs.
Instrument Service Plans1
|One-Year Instrument Warranty||Complete Service Plan||Intermediate Service Plan||Basic Service Plan|
|Unlimited On-Site Service2||✓||✓|
|Service Repair Visit3||✓|
|Annual Preventative Maintenance Service Visit4||✓||✓||✓|
|Repair Parts||✓||✓||20% Discount5||10% Discount|
|Trained and Authorized Service Technicians||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Technical Support –
Telephone and Online
|Priority Service Scheduling||✓||✓|
|Firmware and Software Updates7||✓||✓||✓|
In addition to service support, our worldwide Technical Support Team can help you anytime by email or telephone. Their combined expertise enables them to answer questions beyond hardware and software, as well as help address any cellular analysis challenges you face. If your concern cannot be addressed by our Technical Support Team remotely, we will schedule a visit from a Field Service Engineer or an Applications Specialist.
* This service is only available for customers under contract or warranty.
The following services are outside of the Luminex service plans mentioned above and are subject to additional fees.
Application Training Visit
A three-day introductory training class on Amnis imaging flow cytometry systems is available at our training facility in Austin, Texas, USA. Alternatively, application training and post-sales application support is provided by Field Applications Scientists during an On-Site Training Visit. These highly qualified scientists have expertise in both flow cytometry and our entire portfolio of flow cytometers, kits, and reagents.
An Application Training Visit provides additional details regarding the functionality of the Amnis IDEAS® Software, using application-specific examples. Application Training Visits are available from one to five days in length, and may be tailored to the experience and needs of the customer.
Please consider an Application Training Visit if you need additional training on the system, software, or Amnis kits, as our instrument Field Applications Scientists are available to assist you. These additional training options are beyond the one Training Visit that is included under the Complete Service Plan.
Installation Qualification and Operation Qualification (IQ/OQ)
Our qualification services verify whether your instrument is working according to manufacturer’s specifications. This provides added peace of mind that your instrument is producing high-quality data. A Luminex Field Service Engineer will come to your site to perform the testing and provide the necessary documentation for regulatory compliance.
Instrument System Relocation
If you would like to relocate your Amnis imaging flow cytometer, please call Technical Support to schedule a Field Service Engineer to assist with the relocation. Moving the Amnis Imaging Flow Cytometer without proper procedures could negatively impact system performance and void your one-year instrument warranty, per Luminex’s terms and conditions of sale.
Please contact technical support for more information.
Additional Training & Services
Luminex customer service is committed to assisting you in obtaining optimum performance and value from your investment. Our customer service staff is available Monday-Friday in more than 15 countries worldwide, each with trained support personnel on hand to facilitate your needs.
Luminex Customer Center
Login to the Luminex Customer Center Portal to take advantage of:
- Access to hundreds of resources in our knowledgebase, including access to Luminex Learning
- AMNIS IDEAS Software support
- Service request forms for orders and support
Customers will need to register for an account through the Luminex Customer Center to access the new portal. Click here to register.
|Outside the US||+1-512-381-4397|
Optimize Your Fluorophore Selection
This Spectra Viewer can be used for any of our flow or imaging flow cytometers. Simply select your instrument, configuration, and fluorochomes to view the excitation and emission spectra specific to your instrument.
- Not all service plans are available in all countries. For more information, please contact Service Sales at [email protected]. Standard Luminex policy requires instruments with a lapse in service coverage be recertified by Luminex prior to commencing a service plan. The recertification fee includes travel and three hours of labor. Additional hours of labor and parts used during the recertification will be invoiced. Additional Services are not covered by any service plan
- Parts, labor, and travel are included for all service visits under the Complete Service Plan.
- Parts, labor, and travel are included for the first Service Repair Visit in addition to the one (1) Annual Preventative Maintenance Service Visit.
- Parts, labor, one (1) calibration kit, and travel are included for the one (1) Annual Preventative Maintenance Service Visit.
- Under the Intermediate Service Plan, subsequent repair visits include a parts discount of 20%. Labor and travel not included.
- One (1) Training Visit is provided under the Complete Service Plan.
- Software updates are limited to standard installed software (IDEAS, INSPIRE™, and ASSIST software) and additional purchased or subscribed Amnis software.
- One (1) Amnis Speedbead® Kit for ImageStream provided per year under the Complete Service Plan.
Amnis® ImageStream®X Mk II Imaging Flow Cytometer Ordering Information
Imaging System & Options
|Amnis® ImageStream®X Mk II Imaging Flow Cytometer System, Standard Bundle||100220|
|488 nm, 400 mW, High Power Blue Excitation Laser Upgrade||200111|
|375 nm, 70 mW, UV Excitation Laser||200119|
|405nm, 120mW, Violet Excitation Laser||200121|
|375 nm, 70 mW + 405 nm, 175 mW, UV+Violet Dual Beam Excitation Laser||200129|
|642 nm, 150 mW, Red Excitation Laser||200136|
|561 nm,200 mW, Yellow/Green Excitation Laser||200141|
|592nm,300 mW, Orange/Yellow Excitation Laser||200151|
|AutoSampler, 96 Well Plate Loader||200161|
|12 Imaging Channels||200181|
|MultiMag – 60X, 40X, and 20X||200191|
|Extended Depth of Field (EDF)||200201|
|Analysis Workstation for Large Image Data files||200101|
Kits & Reagents
|Amnis SpeedBead® Kit||Calibration||400041|
|Amnis NFkB Translocation Kit||Cell pathways||ACS10000|
|Amnis Protein Aggregate & Silicone Oil Detection Kit||Drug discovery||APH10001|
|Amnis ImageStreamX Mk II Complete Maintenance and Service Agreement||SLA-ISXMKII-COMPLETE|
|Amnis ImageStreamX Mk II Intermediate Maintenance and Service Agreement||SLA-ISXMKII-INTERMED|
|Amnis ImageStreamX Mk II Basic Maintenance and Service Agreement||SLA-ISXMKII-BASIC|
|Introductory Training, Amnis Imaging Flow Cytometry Systems, at Luminex Office – 3 days (per person)||500200|
|Amnis ImageStream System Training, On-Site – 1 day (up to 5 people)||500200-1|
|Amnis ImageStream System Training, On-Site – 2 consecutive days (up to 5 people)||500200-2|
|Amnis ImageStream System Training, On-Site – 3 consecutive days (up to 5 people)||500200-3|
|Amnis ImageStream System Training, On-Site – 4 consecutive days (up to 5 people)||500200-4|
|Amnis ImageStream System Training, On-Site – 5 consecutive days (up to 5 people)||500200-5|
|IQ-OQ Amnis ImageStreamX Mk II, On-Site||603222|
|Amnis ImageStreamX Mk II Installation||610303|